Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Foundation Engineering at Fastly is looking for a Site Reliability Engineer to join our Cloud and Container Services team. This role is focused on helping to scale and manage Fastly’s Kubernetes based platform for control plane services. This platform is built on top of multiple public cloud services and contains many Kubernetes ecosystem components. We’re working to scale out our platform to support growth and at the same time evolve to address new business priorities. A successful candidate will help expand our platform feature set, support existing users and onboard new services, and drive efficiency while maintaining a secure platform.What You'll Do
What We're Looking For
- Design, build and operate infrastructure (cloud, Fastly datacenter) to enable reliable and rapid deployment, effective monitoring, and resilient operation in a large-scale Linux environment. The majority workloads are containerized but some are using native cloud services such as compute and storage
- Diagnose and resolve performance and reliability issues across the stack: application, operating system, network, 3rd party services and APIs, including cross-application dependencies
- Deploy and support complex 3rd party and internally developed applications
- Write tools to automate maintenance and deployment of servers, services, and applications
- Collaborate with internal users and continually evolve the platform and its operations using solid engineering practices
- Drive projects sometimes independently and sometimes collaboratively across time zones
- Configure access and manage operations within a multi-cloud environment
- Experience running high availability systems and supporting distributed infrastructure. You have designed services with fault tolerance and across geographies. You have deployed and managed multi-tiered services.
- Understanding of Linux systems, high and low level. You have used tcpdump and tracing tools
- Experience building and operating production-grade kubernetes clusters in multiple regions, clouds or data centers. You have experience with tooling in the CNCF space, such as: prometheus, flux, helm, etc.
- Experience with programming languages such as Go and Python. You can read code and reason about what it does. You can write code within an existing large code base such as adding features. You can create medium-sized programs from scratch such as custom kubernetes controllers, custom prometheus exporters, and building tooling to help manage infrastructure
- Experience with infrastructure and configuration management tooling. You have used Terraform to manage infrastructure
- Experience provisioning and managing users and resources with cloud providers such as AWS and GCP. You have provisioned users and accounts using both graphical user interfaces and infrastructure as code frameworks. You have experience provisioning components on public cloud and understand how they work together in creating a multi-tiered service. You have deployed and managed services built on top of public cloud components such as EC2, S3, and GKE
- Experience with CI/CD and GitOps tooling. You can iterate infrastructure via pipelines through code changes. You have experience using Github including creating and reviewing pull requests
- Experience with monitoring tools such as Prometheus, Datadog and Grafana
- Experience working on a distributed team. You have experience collaborating across timezones. You can articulate challenges of distributed teams and how you mitigate them
Work Locations & Travel Requirements:
- This position will require you to be available during core business hours.
This position is open to the following preferred office locations:
- San Francisco, CA
- Los Angeles, CA
- Denver, CO
- New York, NY
Fastly currently embraces a largely hybrid model for most roles which allows employees flexibility to split their time between the office and home.Salary
The estimated salary range for this position is $167,790 to $209,740.
Starting salary may vary based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as experience, skills, qualifications, and location.
This role may be eligible to participate in Fastly’s equity and discretionary bonus programs.Benefits
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits that start on the first day of your employment with Fastly. Curious about our offerings?
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance. Family planning, mental health support along with Employee Assistance Program, Insurance (Life, Disability, and Accident), a non-accrual vacation policy and up to 18 days of accrued paid sick leave are there to help support our employees. We also offer 401(k) (including company match) and an Employee Stock Purchase Program. For 2024, we offer 10 paid local holidays, 11 paid company wellness days.Why Fastly?
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply! A fully completed application and resume or CV are required when applying.
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. As a new hire, you will be able to attend our IN-PERSON new hire orientation in our San Francisco office! It is an exciting week-long experience that we offer to new employees to build connections with colleagues across Fastly, participate in hands-on learning opportunities, and immerse yourself in our culture firsthand.
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Our employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, family or parental status, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and federal or state disability laws, Fastly will provide reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact your Recruiter, or the Fastly Employee Relations team at email@example.com or 501-287-4901.