At University Information Technology Services (UITS) we provide the technology, tools, and services you need to succeed. UITS supports IU's vision for excellence in research, teaching, outreach, and lifelong learning. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility, and creativity, as well as a culture that champions inclusion, diversity, and overall employee well-being through programs supported university wide. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Solve problems, work with amazing people, enable science, make technology safer
OmniSOC is seeking an experienced cybersecurity analyst to join our security services team providing cybersecurity subject matter expertise to our members in higher education, networking, and major science research projects across the United States.
OmniSOC Services Team Analysts are experienced cybersecurity subject-matter experts (SMEs) capable of managing multiple highly complex tasks, projects, and client-members while coordinating with outside partners, software systems/vendors, and managing cybersecurity needs for novel organizational objectives across an array of stakeholders and contexts.
Our analysts are deeply involved in the mission of our members, functioning as consultants, coaches, security analysts and decision makers within member organizations. OmniSOC analysts are actively engaged in the higher ed and research community, regularly visiting campuses, research facilities and attending and presenting at conferences for education and research technology and cybersecurity in the US and abroad.
We strive to be leaders in the field, educating and bettering our member organizations in cybersecurity practice and policy through publication, training and community outreach. From embedded servers on ships at sea, to operational technology controlling telescopes on mountaintops, to world class data centers at leading research universities, our analysts meet our clients where they are and help them to improve their cybersecurity in an impactful, measurable way.
- Analysts engage deeply with members to understand their goals, strengths, needs and challenges
- We are committed to raising the cybersecurity level of our community for the betterment of all
- Each analyst at OmniSOC bears responsibility for the success of OmniSOC and our community, we are committed to enabling the missions of education and research members through safer technology
- We are focused on impactful over volume
- We value an exploring mindset and actively encourage curiosity while pursuing ways to learn more, make the world better, and expand our expertise
- We view mistakes not as failures, but learning opportunities, and try to learn from each failure
- We are open and direct with each other when discussing problems
- We default to openly sharing information with each other, our members, and the community.
- We make tough decisions without agonizing and learn through doing and through one another to collectively improve our decision making
- We act according to our principles even when no one is looking, we are unafraid to speak our minds or question actions that don’t align with our professed values.
- Design and guide member cybersecurity program design and implementation
- Communicate with member leadership on matters related to cybersecurity
- Drive member cybersecurity programs as a senior cybersecurity decision maker or coach
- Lead, manage, and co-author cybersecurity assessments, technical reports, and other technical resource projects
- Design, Develop and document software/systems, procedures, policies, and asset inventories
- Analyze and develop cybersecurity controls for novel IT and OT in order to improve operational security
- Design and execute security training exercises to improve security program maturity and awareness for members
- Participate in the higher ed and research community, regularly visiting campuses, research facilities and attending and presenting at conferences for education and research technology and cybersecurity in the US and abroad
- Serve as a cybersecurity subject-matter experts (SMEs) capable of managing multiple highly complex tasks, projects, and client-members while coordinating with outside partners, software systems/vendors, and managing cybersecurity needs for novel organizational objectives across an array of stakeholders and contexts
This position is posted at the expert level, but may be filled at the advanced level depending on candidate qualifications.
Combinations of related education and experience may be considered. Work experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted for education.
Primary considerations for this position will include:
- Breadth and depth of technical knowledge and security expertise across several domains
- Experience with security and technical decision making and strategic thinking
- Highly professional written and verbal communication skills
- Principled and structured thinking and decision making processes
- Excellent time/task management skills coupled with a commitment to quality and continuous improvement
- Demonstrated history of learning and engagement with new technologies, skills and concepts
OmniSOC is a security operations center hosted at Indiana University which provides monitoring and security operations services to US-based higher education institutions, research and education networks, and NSF-funded research facilities. OmniSOC is primarily made up of three teams:
- A security services team (this position) specializing in the comprehensive assessment and growth of OmniSOC member’s security programs by providing expertise, coaching, and security operations services to members. OmniSOC Services Team Analysts are experienced cybersecurity subject-matter experts capable of managing multiple highly complex tasks, projects, and client-members while coordinating with outside partners, software systems/vendors, and managing cybersecurity needs for novel applications across an array of stakeholders and contexts.
- A platform engineering team responsible for running the OmniSOC SIEM and other IT infrastructure as well as performing software development. This team operates in a “devops” model and supports both the services and security teams, along with OmniSOC members. The platform team manages an extremely scalable mission critical application while also developing and extending the OmniSOC core product. Platform engineers are able to assimilate new information, solve technical problems, and own software development and infrastructure projects.
- The Security Analyst and Engineering Team focuses on the analysis of OmniSOC member log data from networks and endpoints for indications of potential malicious activity or compromise. Security Analysts triage triggered automated detection and network intrusion detection system (NIDS) alerts and investigate if an incident has occurred and then share findings with member institutions for mitigation. Security Engineers identify key member log sources and associated threats in order to build and tune automated detections to identify potential incidents for investigation by analysts and provide the analysts with playbooks to guide those investigations.
All three teams work together to deliver high-quality, timely service to our membership. Our success is dependent upon our teams working in a collaborative, highly organized and efficient manner.
This position is based at the Bloomington, Indiana campus.
This position is eligible for a remote work arrangement, subject to change based on university policy and business needs. This position may also be able to work from an office location at other IU campuses as space is available.
Expert level: $90,000-105,000
Advanced level: $75,000-90,000
View the full posting here.