Ariel Investments is a premier, boutique, asset management firm. Our primary goal is to drive exceptional investment returns by bringing diverse perspectives together. The only way to beat a benchmark is to not look like one. As value investors, our thinking is deliberate and unconventional. We offer an independent, patient investing approach and aim to deliver excellence in any environment. We uphold our fiduciary responsibility to every shareholder, no matter how big or small.
At Ariel, we strongly believe that teamwork yields results—which is why we have Co-CEOs. John Rogers and Mellody Hobson share a desire to cultivate leaders who are curious, focused and disciplined. We are nimble and efficient. Our drive is fanatical and intentional. Everyone plays their position, and each contribution is critical to our firm’s success. We seek subject matter experts who are unapologetically themselves. We encourage our employees to reach their full potential and we give them the runway to do so.
After four decades of active investing, we remain committed to our clients, our teammates and our community. We strive to be best-in-class investors and pioneer a path for those who entrust us with their financial future.
The Sr. Security Engineer will be assisting the Chief Technology & Information Security Officer (CTO,CISO), with several areas of Ariel’s digital transformation with a focus on security. This individual will be responsible for assisting with designing, planning, executing, maintaining and supporting our security environment first and foremost, cloud strategy and operational environments along with who can seamlessly mesh technical know-how with business acumen to help us navigate all our cloud and security computing needs.
Essential to this role is the ability to develop, propose and maintain policy, standards, and procedures while continually focusing on process improvements, present alternatives and associated risks, professionally debate issues and view cloud and mobile computing and security from a business perspective. The successful candidate should be able to communicate effectively and successfully coordinate efforts with other areas of the business and senior management.
- Well versed on cybersecurity frameworks such as ISO 27001, SOC2, GDPR, CCPA, CIS
- Knowledge of the security landscape including but not limited to security operations, patch management, vulnerability scanning, managed security service providers, Identity Governance (IGA)
- Hands on experience with software development, reverse engineering, forensic analysis
- Deep knowledge of the Microsoft Azure and O365 ecosystems including but not limited to hands on experience of Azure automation, DevOps, Sentinel, Defender, Endpoint Manager
- Minimum of 5 years performing the role at the level of or equivalent to: Sr Engineer, Sr. Developer, Cloud / Security Engineer
- At least 10 years of total IT experience
- Programming and scripting skills using languages such as PowerShell, Python, C, and/or other 4GLs
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have strong vendor relationship management skills.
- Must have good work management skills with the ability to successfully complete efforts on-time and within budget
- Background in designing/developing/architecting/planning/implementing IT and security systems
- Superior analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- A strong strategic and business mindset
Education (preferred And/or Required)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or Information Security preferred
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- CISA, CISSP, Security +, Microsoft Azure, or MCSE level certifications preferred
Ariel employees, including the incumbent(s) in this position, are required to: (1) read and strictly adhere to all compliance policies and procedures of the various Ariel entities, as applicable; and (2) work together with their colleagues, including the CCO, to resolve compliance issues.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Diversity:
Ariel celebrates diversity and practices inclusion as a way to get work done – it’s in our DNA. As an equal opportunity employer, employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, parental status (including pregnancy), disability, perceived disability, veteran status, status of military discharge, or any other basis under federal, state, or local law. Ariel prohibits discrimination against an applicant or employee because of their actual or perceived protected characteristic(s), and is committed to recruiting, retaining, and developing a diverse group of talented applicants, and to providing employees with a workplace free from discrimination and/or harassment.
Equal employment opportunity takes place in all employment practices, including recruiting, hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, and termination. The firm seeks to uphold an inclusive culture where diversity is recognized and valued. As such, Ariel provides employees a robust benefits package that includes:
- Coverage for same-sex partner (domestic or spouse)
- Coverage for children (natural born, step, adopted or foster)
- Fully paid medical insurance that covers fertility treatments, gender affirmation
- Employer contributions to a Health Savings Account
- Maternity leave at 100% pay (12 weeks)
- Paid Parental Leave (up to 12 weeks depending on tenure)
- Flexible Your Time Off policy
- Hybrid work model – in office 3 days a week Tuesday through Thursday (occasional business needs may require being in the office on a remote day)
Lastly, all employees have access to Ariel-sponsored educational, training, and recreational activities.