Title: CIO, Director of Information Technology (IT)
Dept.: Information Technology onsite
Salary: $180,000 to $190,000
Date: September 13, 2023
NYSUT located in Latham, New York is seeking an experienced and highly qualified Chief Information Officer (CIO) accountable for defining and executing IT strategy and capabilities across the organization. Critical traits include the ability to lead large technology modernization efforts by championing change across the organization and within the IT division. Key areas of responsibility include data analytics and business intelligence, development and support, infrastructure, security, and technical services. Reporting to the Office of the President, the CIO will be responsible for ensuring stakeholder support and providing deliverable timelines and expectations for IT performance. The successful candidate will demonstrate a strong understanding in leadership, strategic thinking, change management, knowledge of current and emerging technology, and will bring a collaborative, team-building managerial style.
- Develop an IT vision, strategy, and execute an implementation plan in alignment with budgeted resources.
- Lead technology modernization across the organization, initially focused on improving member services incorporating new and innovative technologies.
- As a member of the senior management team, identify, anticipate, and propose IT modifications that will enhance NYSUT’s organizational infrastructure, both internally and through membership interactions and experience.
- Proactively advise the senior management team on the emerging technologies and digital trends that are most relevant to NYSUT's goals and evolving needs.
- Help determine capital investment parameters, priorities, and risks for enterprise-wide IT initiatives to maximize the return on investment.
- Lead and execute an analytics program that will allow NYSUT leaders to make data-based decisions.
- Strategically plan with groups and leaders across the organization and build strong relationships to form a detailed understanding of their issues, challenges, and opportunities.
- Anticipate unplanned and/or emergency projects in a way that incorporates them into previously scheduled departmental workflow.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive understanding of current industry practices and protocols involving information security for both operational priority and insurance compliance.
- Lead the organizational behavior and test execution around the enterprise-wide disaster recovery and business continuity plan.
- Identify, propose, and implement the most appropriate and effective IT departmental design based on NYSUT’s broader organizational framework.
- Identify when external partners are needed and provide clear parameters around partner and internal staff roles.
- Establish strong vendor management practices based on accountabilities and key performance indicators.
- Foster a culture of innovation, transparency, and accountability.
Promote professional growth, teamwork, and succession planning for team members.
- Direct experience with an AZURE/Office 365 environment sufficient to support team efforts for system upgrades, repairs, and security management.
- Familiarity with RPG coding in an IBMi setting.
- Significant career experience in technology, including a preferred 10 years in an IT leadership position.
- Experience as a CIO, Director of IT, or equivalent senior leadership position is required.
- Experience in education, government, community services, not-for-profits, the labor movement, or a related industry is preferred.
- The ability to collaborate with stakeholders in review of actual and projected revenue forecasts.
- Experience in developing service contracts including ensuring rates are justified with quantifiable metrics and data.
- Attuned to industry behavior to anticipate and implement necessary changes and adjustments.
- Experience leading a team in a unionized environment is preferred.
- A bachelor’s degree is required with an advanced degree in a related field, such as computer science, engineering and/or business (MBA), preferred.
- Willing to work long and irregular hours, including weekends as needed, the CIO will work from NYSUT headquarters in Latham, New York, and some travel may be expected.
NYSUT- Who are we?
NYSUT is a statewide labor organization affiliated with more than 1,200 local unions, each representing its own members. NYSUT is affiliated with two national unions, the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) and the National Education Association (NEA). NYSUT represents nearly 700,000 people who work in, or are retired from, New York's schools, colleges, and healthcare facilities, including teachers, teacher aides and assistants, college and university faculty and professional staff, school bus drivers, custodians, secretaries, cafeteria workers, nurses, and other healthcare professionals. At NYSUT, we believe in creating a work environment free of barriers and bias, where individual outlooks and talents are respected and valued. Our organization’s policy is to ensure an equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by the law.
Why Should You Apply?
- Competitive salary and excellent benefits, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance plans, life and long-term disability plans, and retirement plans
- Generous PTO plan
- Work-life balance
- Collaborative and supportive work environment with a diverse group of experienced professionals
- Opportunity to work in a highly respected organization, make a meaningful difference in the lives of working people, and be a proud part of the labor movement at the local, state, and national levels.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 25, 2023. NYSUT is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. NYSUT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. Women, people of color, and LGBTQ+ people are encouraged to apply.