ABOUT YW BOSTON
YW Boston works to eliminate racism, empower women and promote peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all. YW Boston is at the vanguard of thought leadership on issues at the intersection of race and gender, helping organizations create more inclusive environments where women, people of color, and in particular, women of color can succeed. YW Boston invests in our internal culture, including our own racial equity practices. We seek candidates that thrive in adaptive organizations, are comfortable working amidst organizational change, and are excited about helping YW Boston deepen its impact in Boston. Key organizational values at YW Boston that are crucial to this role are People, Collaboration, Liberation, Courage, Shared Leadership. For more information about YW Boston, please visit https://www.ywboston.org/
YW has a highly diverse team and we are always challenging ourselves on how to create more equitable spaces. This is work that we do externally, and we hold ourselves accountable internally too. The Vice President of People and Culture will possess high emotional intelligence, a desire to listen, and a willingness to innovate on equitable policies grounded in qualitative and quantitative data.
The Vice President of People and Culture serves as a passionate advocate and steward of YW Boston’s culture. The Vice President will develop a strategy to foster and sustain conditions for a flourishing work environment, engaging employees at all levels of the organization in a culture that prioritizes staff in support of the overall business plan and strategic direction of the organization. It is equally as important that this position ensures that our internal work aligns with our external work. This role will have no direct reports, but will have a dotted line relationship to the Operations Senior Manager.
The Vice President of People and Culture will report to the President and CEO.
- Develop strategies that ensure diversity, equity and inclusion are embraced by the organization in spirit and process and that the President & CEO and other Leadership Team members are involved appropriately and strategically
- Develop strategies and tactics to support the organization’s overarching goals, foster an inclusive work environment and strengthen culture over time
- Ensure transparency and consistency pertaining to people-related policies and practices
- Co-lead the organization’s Equity Steering Committee
Staff and Organization Development
- Design and lead the performance review process to drive a culture of feedback and continuous learning
- Hold a systems view of organizations and manage organizational challenges as opportunities for learning and growth
- Establish and coordinate trainings to help all employees to step into full responsibility for their well-being, tasks, roles and impact on the organization
- Develop and coordinate training to support growth in organizational competencies and other skills
- Coach managers to be better supervisors and support employee learning, growth and advancement
- Work with Operations Senior Manager to ensure staff meetings and gatherings reinforce YW Boston’s mission and values, encourage cross-departmental communications, and foster individual and collective learning and growth
Talent Acquisition and Retention
- Work with Operations Senior Manager to develop and manage an exciting, employee-centered, full-cycle employment experience — attracting, hiring, retaining and offboarding – for a diverse and highly skilled staff
- Utilize a data-driven approach to identify trends and recommend proactive solutions to ensure solid talent management decision-making that incorporates an equity lens and that we have a culture where employees thrive
Human Resources Management
- Ensure that all HR policies, benefits, compensation, and practices reflect YW Boston’s values
- Expertly guide the organization to address and resolve employee relations incidents, personnel matters, and other organizational challenges and issues that arise
- Perform exit interviews, monitor trends in staff departures and develop retention strategies
- Maintain current knowledge and understanding of state and federal employment law
- Perform other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS + EXPERIENCE
- 10+ years of related experience (ideally including culture & organizational development, learning and development, and/or diversity/equity) with at least 6 years of leadership experience
- Demonstrated commitment to YW Boston’s mission to promote racial, gender and social equity
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with a workstyle that is organized, innovative, and results oriented
- Excellent people management skills; empathy and enthusiasm when building and maintaining professional relationships; ability to coach, develop, and motivate others to achieve outcomes
- Ability to work independently with sound judgment, protect confidentiality, and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to analyze information, summarize findings, and present them in ways easily understandable to stakeholders
- Openness to learning and willingness to give and receive feedback
SALARY & BENEFITS
This is a full-time, exempt position. The salary range for this position is $122,500- 132,000. Salary scales are set according to an explicit compensation policy, and relevant market data is analyzed when setting ranges for each role. To ensure internal parity, YW Boston will analyze the overall number of years of experience as well as relevant experience pertaining to the position of the candidate and in comparison with staff in the same job group to make the offer salary. Because salary ranges are small and the internal parity review is thorough, offers are firm.
YW Boston provides employees a generous benefits package, including generous paid time off, medical and dental insurance, flexible spending accounts, flexible schedule options, life insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, accidental death, and a 403(b) retirement savings plan.