Please look at skills chart and make sure all required skills are there! This is Hybrid in Richmond, VA. There are only 2 submittal spots. Please work fast to have your candidate considered. Local candidates
only. I will update as soon as the submissions have closed.
Hybrid in VA
Rate: 55/hr C2C
Required / Desired
Experience related to the defining and assessing of Data Protection strategy, architecture and practices, and technology implementation
Understanding of components of a comprehensive Data Protection & Governance program, incl. governance, policy, organizational design, communications
Familiarity with Data Protection tech. capabilities such as data discovery, data labeling, data inventory, CASB, Microsoft Purview, information rights
Knowledge of data governance and security practices; and of technologies, programming and scripting languages, and data tools associated with big-data
Experience and familiarity with cloud data security and working with public cloud solutions (AWS, Azure, Google)
Outstanding interpersonal skills to effectively build relations and interact with stakeholders all levels within the Commonwealth
Commonwealth of Virginia security policies prohibit the use of offshore IT contractors. Do you attest to the fact that your candidate will physically reside within the US for the duration of the assignment?
Please list candidate's email address.
Please list the city/state where the candidate is located.
Is the candidate aware that this position requires at least 4 days of ON-SITE work per week? If they do not agree to this, DO NOT SUBMIT.
We are currently seeking a Business Analyst to support our Data Protection and Governance Program. The Business Analyst will report to the Director of Data Protection and Governance within the Office of Data Governance and Analytics.
This role will provide strategic business analysis services to the Virginia Office of Data Governance and Analytics and its agency partners. The focus of this position is to work closely within the ODGA to gain in-depth understanding of agency's business strategy, processes, services, roadmap and the context in which the ODGA operates. This role will be key to understanding and documenting the capabilities needed to address business challenges. This role will be client facing and will act as the liaison between the ODGA and other agencies.
The Business Analyst is responsible for reviewing assigned business processes from end-to-end to identify and address operational, financial and technological risks. Identify opportunities to improve efficiency. Responsibilities will include a full range of activities from leading small to mid-size projects to assisting other project managers on larger more complex projects related to operational business functions that affect team members and providers.
We are a fast-growing agency focused on providing expert insight into data analytics and risk, developing team members, and effective oversight of data analytics, data security and technology risk.? This is a team where you can work with great team members across the Cybersecurity, Risk Management, and Technology organizations.? You will be challenged to excel with exciting and challenging opportunities daily.? There is transparency and great support from management to allow team members to be effective, grow their careers and meet Commonwealth goals.? Hard work and initiative are rewarded and recognized by management and colleagues alike, which promotes a culture of respect and value across the organization.? Within ODGA you will be conducting meaningful work and making a difference in the lives of Virginians by promoting a data sharing culture, optimizing data protection and governance capabilities, and developing cyber resilient programs.
Technical Job Responsibilities
- Support the implementation of a comprehensive enterprise-wide Data Protection & Governance program that aligns with Commonwealth values and culture, is applicable to Agency business, and scalable to account for business growth and changes to regulatory requirements across on premises and cloud environments.
- Collaborate among diverse teams to implement data protection controls appropriate to the business processes.
- Facilitate the identification, classification, and assignment of roles and responsibilities for data management to include Data Owners and Data Stewards across all Agencies, and coordinate data engineering and operation roles across the Commonwealth.
- Support the implementation of the full data lifecycle to include data inventory, classification, protection, retention, and destruction requirements Commonwealth-wide.
- Collaborate with various stakeholders, including VITA, business product and data teams providing advice on new projects and product features, and implementation of proposed solutions and best practices.
- Perform data profiling and database structure research in order to understand relevant data elements along with their definitions and use.
- Participate in data governance policy creation, management, and analyzing potential impacts of policy choices under consideration
- Document and maintain data standards, partnering with functional and business data owners to map existing data structures, usage, and common definitions
- Participate in and lead agile ceremonies for the ODGA.
- Identify, create and facilitate process design changes by conducting business and systems process analysis and design at a complex level; focusing on quality improvement and data management; ensuring data is reliable and valid; developing process improvements or re-engineering and recommending elimination; integrating new systems and processes with existing ones; and partnering with internal and external customers to ensure systems provided meet the long-term business strategies.
- Create and maintain project schedules by developing project plans and specifications, estimating time and resources, monitoring milestone completion, tracking all phases of the project lifecycle, providing timely reporting of issues that impact project progress, coordinating actions and resolving conflicts
- Serve as an advocate for the strategic value of data and its importance as a business asset, driver of business insights and efficiencies, and avenue to improved public services and business cultures.
- Represent the ODGA on technical project issues before governance and advisory committees, officials, and partner agencies at the Deputy Chief Data Officer's request.
- Design and prepare reports and presentations explaining data protection and governance in a high quality, informative, engaging, and easily understood manner.
- Participate in developing and delivering training programs on data governance.
- Perform assigned duties to assist the Office of the Chief Data Officer or state government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor. May be required to work during hours not regularly scheduled for work, as directed by the supervisor.
- 2-3 years of experience related to the defining and assessing of Data Protection strategy, architecture and practices, and technology implementation.
- Understanding of the components of a comprehensive Data Protection & Governance program, including governance, policy, organizational design, communications and training, architecture, technologies, processes, and controls
- Familiarity with Data Protection technology capabilities such as data discovery, data labeling, data inventory, CASB, Microsoft Purview, information rights management, and data loss prevention
- Knowledge of data governance and security practices; and of technologies, programming and scripting languages, and data tools associated with big-data processing projects.
- Passionate about the benefits of accurate and actionable data
- Experience and familiarity with cloud data security and working with public cloud solutions (AWS, Azure, Google)
- Outstanding interpersonal skills to effectively build relations and interact with stakeholders all levels within the Commonwealth with proven success in building and developing strong relationships with business stakeholders.
- Strong influence and networking skills to help build and foster strong business relationships, leveraging those relationships to seek consensus amongst the community on governance matters
- Ability to translate business issues and requirements into actionable plans, and deliver against those plans
- Considerable skill in the use of a personal computer with MS Office or similar business software packages.
- The selected candidate must continually meet requirements of the Conflict of Interest Act, pass a fingerprint background check, and also sign and adhere to the Confidentiality Statement at the end of this document.
- Familiarity with Agile processes including story creation, backlog grooming, and ceremonies
- Azure certifications; certification in project management; experience in a big-data environment or data security
- Practical knowledge of privacy regulations as it applies to data protection requirements
- Practical experience documenting data inventories and data protection control activities.
- Familiarity with implementing technical controls required to meet privacy and data protection requirements.
- Experience with SQL and an understanding of data and systems' infrastructures