Cogent Communications is a multinational, Tier 1 facilities-based ISP, consistently ranked as one of the top five networks in the world and is publicly traded on the NASDAQ Stock Market under the ticker symbol CCOI. Cogent specializes in providing businesses with high speed Internet access and point-to-point transport services. Cogent facilities-based, all-optical IP network backbone provides IP services in over 219 markets globally. Since its inception, Cogent has unleashed the benefits of IP technology, building one of the largest and highest capacity IP networks in the world. This network enables Cogent to offer large bandwidth connections at highly competitive prices. Cogent also offers superior customer support by virtue of its end-to-end control of service delivery and network monitoring. A competitive base salary and a full benefits package including; Health, Dental, Vision, Paid Time Off ( PTO), Short- and Long-Term Disability, Life Insurance, Holidays, Parental Leave, 401 ( k) plan with employer match, stock options, and an Employee Assistance Program. Most benefits take effect within 30 days of employment, and some require a waiting period. Job Summary:
The Director of Information Technology will possess technical expertise and provide strategic leadership, vision, planning, and management to all areas of corporate IT. The Director will develop and oversee company-wide technology policies, procedures, services, and facilities. The Director will work collaboratively with the CIO and other leadership to develop effective strategies for integrating and advancing our technology.
The successful candidate will be a hands-on manager, leader and mentor. Candidate must have the ability to develop and lead strategic and operational initiatives and will possess exceptional communication, collaboration, project management and customer service skills. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops overall technology roadmap and plans, formulates, sets and implements polices for current and future information/communication/ telecommunications systems and activities
- Analyzes IT infrastructure and systems performance to assess operating costs, productivity levels, upgrade requirements, and other metrics and needs.
- Manages IT staff including recruitment, performance management and evaluations, and professional development
- Prepares, submits, and manages operating and capital expenditures for technology needed to support the organizations technology projects
- Oversees the purchase, installation, and maintenance of computer hardware, software, networks, telecommunication equipment on premises and the cloud environment
- Collaborates with Director of IS on development, staging and production platforms
- Collaborates with cybersecurity team on risk assessment, response and remediation
- Provides weekly updates and strategies on all projects to CIO and CEO
- Perform reviews and updates, promote and ensure policy awareness, track exceptions, and perform testing / auditing / monitoring on policy compliance.
- Keeps abreast of new knowledge, research, products, and services in technology that will benefit the organization.
- Computer Science or related bachelor’s degree and 10+ years of relevant IT experience
- Minimum 5 years of leading IT Teams and hands-on technical operations
- Prior experience in a hands-on technical role of systems, network, storage and database administration
- Strong experience in Windows and UNIX operating systems
- Experience with VMware and NetApp a plus
- Implementation and project management of large-scale technology implementations
- Determine skills of current staff align resources for best fit/future state, staff development/mentorship
- Manage vendor relationships and negotiations
- Establishing and maintaining accountability and adaptability
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Ability to write and present formal documentation
- Remains in a sitting/stationary position continually or almost continually during the work day
- Operates a computer and performs desk-based computer tasks continually; frequently viewing a computer screen
- Rarely lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling objects and/or equipment that weighs up to 50 pounds
Cogent has adopted a mandatory vaccination and booster policy which requires all U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated ( including booster shots when eligible) against COVID-19. Prior to beginning employment, new employees must provide proof of vaccination or apply for and receive an accommodation to be exempt from the policy.
By submitting an application or resume for this position, I understand that is an in-office position and agree to abide Cogent mandatory vaccination policy.
To apply for the Director, Information Technology position, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Cogent Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.