Position: Vice President
Location: Calera, AL
Southern Haulers, LLC. is a family owned and operated asset-based carrier operating in the bulk commodity transportation space utilizing specialized equipment such as end-dump, pneumatic, walking floor, and roll-off trailers to service our customer base throughout the Eastern half of the United States. The Company prides itself upon outstanding CUSTOMER Service, delivered by dedicated and safe DRIVERS, operating well-maintained, state-of-the-art EQUIPMENT.
We are looking for an experienced and authentic leader with a vision for the future to join our company as the Vice President of Southern Haulers. This position will be responsible for the management of operations, sales, customer service, and all supporting activities of Southern Hauler’s fleet of over 100 trucks, hauling a diverse set of commodities such as ferro-alloys, ferrous and non-ferrous scrap metals, plastics, cement, and numerous other dry commodities used in industrial applications.
- Manage and optimize the utilization of company assets with a focus on SAFETY and meeting customer capacity demands, while keeping operating costs as lean as possible.
- Lead, manage, and mentor a team of managers, drivers, mechanics, and support staff throughout several locations within the region.
- Foster a culture that prioritizes driver satisfaction, safety, and customer service.
- Maintain and establish strong relationships with existing and potential customers, shippers, receivers, and suppliers.
- Identify and pursue new business opportunities and markets.
- Develop and implement strategic plans which align with the company’s vision and mission.
- Involved with the hiring and training of new Drivers.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations related to commercial transportation.
- Travel to other terminal locations in the region on a quarterly basis.
Success in this role will require:
- A bachelor’s degree in business administration, logistics, transportation management, or a related field.
- At least 5 years of progressive experience in dry bulk transportation or a related industry.
- Strong knowledge of dry bulk transportation equipment, processes, regulations, and markets.
- A willingness to listen and learn the customer base, the specifics, and the nuances of our specialized transportation business, from a very seasoned group of leaders with a wealth of industry knowledge.
- Intrinsic motivation with a strong work ethic.
- An authentic leader that motivates, inspires, and truly cares about the well-being of employees.
- A composed individual with excellent listening, problem-solving, decision making, critical thinking, and communication skills.
- Detail oriented and organized with a continuous improvement mindset.
- Able to empathize with and command the respect of drivers and other employees.
- Strong technological and computer skills with the ability to learn and adapt to an increasingly digitized environment.