The biggest key to focus on is someone with "Enterprise cloud management" so they have worked on large orgs with lots of accounts/subscriptions.
About This Team/role
The Senior Engineer, Cloud Infrastructure is a pragmatic visionary, willing to make a lasting impact that echoes through the technology and the company. This engineer takes on Cloud Infrastructure's hardest problems and builds high quality, architecturally sound systems that are aligned with our business needs. They remain hands-on and lead by example. By being close to the details, this leader earns the respect needed to be effective technical leaders. The lead engineer brings clarity to complexity and demonstrates smart ways to simplify. This role requires a leader and mentor, setting excellent examples for the local teams and the entire engineering community.
The engineer must thrive in fast-paced environments, be able to manage through ambiguity and complexity, invent and simplify processes, and simultaneously support multiple projects impacting a growing global organization. This role requires excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to identify and eliminate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate, make tradeoffs and balance business needs versus technical constraints. Maturity, curiosity, creative problem solving, and team leadership are all essential to success in this role.
Technical delivery and ownership
- Responsible for enterprise foundation systems supporting hundreds of accounts.
- Contributes to development of new solutioning principles and concepts.
- Expertise of engineering practices. Integrates broad working knowledge in related disciplines to create integrated engineering solutions for complex business situations.
- Advanced knowledge in Cloud (AWS/Azure) engineering and architecture, as well as automated application deployment and practical security methodology
- Proficiency and experience with concepts and technologies used in software development, operations, security, cloud and scheduling platforms.
- Expert proficiency with Hashicorp's Terraform, Vault and Infrastructure as a Code patterns.
- Ability to work well in a highly dynamic environment that focuses on providing outstanding customer service.
- Comfort working remotely and perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy.
Enrollment, Influence, and adoption
- Serves as an engineering resource in cross functional teams dealing with challenging engineering problems and opportunities.
- Articulate technical functionality of Terraform, Vault and infrastructure platforms to multiple technical audiences.
- Educate and advise users on how to adopt the functionality of infrastructure platform products within their strategy and processes to achieve measurable value.
- Translate application team needs into technical solutions and product requirements.
- Influences decisions that impact critical long term IT strategy for organizational success.
- Provides thought leadership to ensure that systems and services are designed, and operating to achieve optimal levels of performance, reliability, and sustainability.
- Understands and balances the needs of competing stakeholders across the organization.
- Demonstrates ability to coach team members around best practices for delivering high performant, secure and scalable solutions.
Required Skills & Experience
- 5+ years of related work experience working in high performance or distributed systems, with direct work experience across a variety of Cloud Infrastructure disciplines.
- Expert experience working with enterprise AWS or Azure Cloud Infrastructure, Hashicorp Terraform, Vault, Infrastructure as Code managed through CI/CD pipelines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and ability to talk through solutions with other engineers and architects.
- Experience/familiarity with CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, GitHub, Gitlab and supporting platforms and services (hosting, monitoring, governance, and others).
- Developing / maintaining self-service, scripted solutions that allows teams to manage their accounts.
- Deep familiarity with microservices architectures, and ideally have seen them in operation at a global scale.
- Possess strong understanding of security principles.
- Able to knowledgeably discuss performance, security, and user interactions in complex systems.
- Built or operated an enterprise-scale Cloud organization.
- Experience managing config, patching and asset management at scale a plus.
- Takes ownership and follows through on tasks; drives decisions; results oriented.
- Creative, innovative thinking, intellectual curiosity
- Strong organizational and time management skills; ability to multi-task