Entry Level IT Technician:
Summary: We are looking for technically skilled candidates with good problem-solving ability for the position of IT technician. The duties of the IT technician include being a reference point for all IT related queries at the user level, responding to user needs in a timely manner and ensuring the optimal running of all systems, among other technical duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Performs basic problem solving and assistance on various software applications and hardware systems for department users and/or the university community.
- Provide individual instruction and/or training to users on new or updated technologies.
- Performs routine technical assistance and maintenance duties.
- Maintains and updates record keeping system; may document IT projects and maintain user instructions.
- Assists with tracking inventory levels of equipment and materials; performs data entry and maintenance of records such as, but not limited to, project documents, user instructions, general reports and/or systems errors.
- Performs routine technological systems support, maintenance, and testing for proper upkeep of systems; troubleshoots and resolves general system hardware, software, and network failures and conflicts.
- Assists with research and development initiatives and in the implementation of new technologies.
- Assists with the implementation of technology projects with moderate scope and impact.
- Assists with the installation, configuration and maintenance of computers, workstations and/or other related equipment and devices.
- Maintains currency of knowledge with respect to technology, equipment, applicable laws, regulations, standards and/or systems.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Interpersonal - Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values.
- Adaptability - Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently.
- Professionalism - Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, information technology, business management information systems, or closely related field and 3-5 years of information technology experience in the support of IT systems and services; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of a wide range of computer systems software, applications, hardware, networking, and communications.
- Ability to perform routine preventive maintenance on systems software, applications, hardware, networking, and communications.
- Knowledge of current technological developments/trends in area of focus.
- Records maintenance skills.
- Ability to provide direction to staff and/or student to resolve technological issues.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to determine computer problems and to coordinate hardware, software, and/or network solutions.
- Ability to analyze and resolve basic computer problems.
- Ability to communicate technical guidance and instruction to users on the use of PC and/or mainframe applications and systems.
Salary range: $20 - $25/hr